Thursday, February 18, 2010

I Love Musicals!!!!!!

I can't even begin to explain how much I love musicals. I am a terrible singer and I've accepted that, but I used to dream that I would be a broadway star. My most recent musical was in freshman year of highschool I was in the chorus of 42nd Street. It was so amazing, but after that I realized that my lack of singing talent would most likely hold me back from my life dream. But I still love musicals so needless to say I loved "Golddiggers." I just love the way musicals make you feel. They just make you happy no matter what. I'm sure it was a reflection of the time. A lot of the best musicals were made during, and about, the Depression, including Goldiggers and 42nd Street. These musicals were designed to cheer up the people seeing them. They put a humerous spin on the troubles people were going through to try to make people see the silver lining in the situation. Through their comic relief and joyous singing, people could escape from the bad things that were happening at the time, and it still does that for people even today. The fact that everyone in the show is usually so positive even though they have to steal their food at one point and don't have enough clothes to go around makes you feel like you can be positive in whatever situation you're in. I also love all these plays within a play. This idea probably origionated because of the fact that what goes on behind the scenes of a show are actually really exciting. There's so much energy and excitement that goes on backstage, almost more than on-stage, and it's really fun to see both parts of it.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, it's interesting that you were in the chorus of 42nd Street, which probably gives you some additional insight into these musicals since that one pulled from some of the others.

    ReplyDelete