Thursday, March 4, 2010

Sullivan's Travels

I really really enjoyed the movie "Sullivan's Travels". It was a great mix of comedy and drama mixed in with romance, but unconventional romance which made it interesting. I really liked that the girl in the movie was beautiful and charming but was perfectly content with roughing it with Sully, and actually found a lot of joy and humor in it. It shows a different kind of woman, especially compared to most women at the time. It also showed that you can be happy doing anything, as long as you're with someone you love, which is a concept that I really believe in. The part about this movie that I liked most was its message about humor. At the end of the movie, one of the last things Sully says is "There's something to say about making people laugh." I love this line because I think it is so true. Comedy has always been popular, but I don't think it really gets the true respect and recognition it deserves. Movie makers that want Oscar nominations always try to make the most deep, serious, depressing movies, just like the movie Sully wanted to make, and those are considered the best movies. But honestly, I think that comedies are much more powerful than the "oscar worthy" movies. When I am sad, upset, or depressed, watching a funny movie cheers me up and provides a bit of an escape for a while, and isn't that the most powerful thing of all? I love the scene in the movie when Sully is at his lowest low stuck in the chain gang, and he and everyone around him are depressed and hopeless. Never the less, when they watch a funny movie, they can't help but laugh and everyone's mood improves. This is when the lightbulb went off in Sully's head that in tough times, comedies can be much more powerful than dramas. This is definitely one of my favorite movies so far!

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you I like the film's of drama, comedy, and romance. It helps people to see different genres in one film

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really glad you liked this movie, Lauren! Your point about the relationship between Sully and the girl is important. She's interested in him romantically and subtly chases him(a staple of screwball comedy) but is interested primarily in being with him regardless of what he does, a much more interesting and low-key twist on the usual romance plot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you as well on the idea that comedies can effect people just as much, if not more, than dramas. I really think that laughter is the most powerful medicine. I'm glad Sully finally realized this by the end of the film when he sees first hand how laughter can bring joy to people, even when they are in the worst of situations like those in the chain gang.

    ReplyDelete